Friday 16 October 2009

The last couple weeks have been...

Pretty freaking cool. I turned 21 a week ago and had a really cool 4 days off for my birthday - despite me being worried I'd be too homesick to enjoy it.

On the day of my birthday my housemates took me out to this little town called Methven which is pretty much at the foot of Mount Hutt. The town was actually pretty cool, despite being way out in the stick. Got a coffee in this cool cafe that doubled as a junk shop where "everything" was for sale...even the seats you sat on. I flicked through the vinyls to see if I could find any gems but I was nay successful...my mate Charlie is the king of sniffing out hidden treasures. I couldn't believe how many English people were in this place - 2 out of 3 of the chicks that worked there were Brits, and about 4 customers came in whilst we were in there that were also British. Not holiday-makers or travelers either - full-blown, settled-in English people...bizarre.

Snooped around the town a bit and was shocked to find an awesome skatepark somebody had thrown up in some warehouse...the building was so run down but there were kids all over the place tearing around on their boards. New Zealand knows what's up. Town councils in the UK struggle to put decent skateparks in towns 10 times the size of Methven.





Took a couple snaps...cool huh...

After Methven we drove half-way up Mount Hutt, just to have a look. I don't think I could have ever predicted that I'd spend my 21st birthday half-way up a mountain...



Oh yeah - and there was a sh*tload of fresh snow!

Went out in the evening with a few local hoodlums and gave my liver a good bashing...only went to a couple bars, but they were cool bars with good atmospheres. The night started off pretty low-key but one too many jagermeisters later and I found myself confronted with Space Invaders, a vintage vacuum cleaner, and a terrifying old woman in a cupboard...rock and/or roll...





No comments:

Post a Comment