Monday 27 July 2009

Lights and Sounds

This weekend saw a family members 85th birthday and a good old fashioned Sunday afternoon drinking session out in the sticks. Both were nice 'n wholesome. Good kiwi food (developing a soft spot for bacon and egg pie) and a good few bottles of beer always go down a treat on a sunny weekend. The weekend has been pretty chilled out in that respect, no big nights out in the city, no apocalyptic hangovers to speak of...just mellow.

I forgot to mention the awesome pintsize-haka I saw last week at a mall near town...

These school kids came in and performed a whole load of traditional Maori songs and dances, and they were freaking good. Some of those little fellas have a pretty good roar on them. I've never seen anything like that, not in Eastbourne or Kingston anyway. It was all a pretty enriching experience, that's for sure.

I'm a little stoked with the quality of the butchers over here. I went to one today in this little suburb just down the road and picked up two chicken breasts, a big pack of bacon, two pork chops, and three sausages all for 24 bucks. Thats about 9.60 in quids and pennies...insane! Amazing quality too, huge cuts of meat, and no preservatives or any other chemical-warfare bullsh*t either. Top notch.

I'm not feeling very "bloggy" tonight...a little homesick if I'm honest. I wish I could go home for a couple of nights and come back, it's that complete physical detachment that gets me every now and then. Though I know if I were to return to the motherland I would regret it within about fifteen minutes of touching down...not to mention be suffering from a severe case of - as I like to call it - 'Imissmygirlfriendsomuchicanbarelywalkivitis' - ha.

When we drove back from this Sunday session yesterday I discovered if I turned the flash off on my camera it resulted in some pretty cool effects. I'll leave you with a snap and a pearl of wisdom from Oscar Wilde...

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."


No comments:

Post a Comment