Sunday 19 July 2009

Living for the weekend

Word. The weekend just ended, so here's what happened.

Friday night we went out in the city with my girlfriends sister and her husband (from Brighton - small world yeah?!) It was a pretty relaxed night and the drinks were flowing and the music was playing and the laughs were booming. Went to some cool bars too, most notably this one called 'Fat Eddies'. They had a band that were playing "Message to Rudy" as we walked in, which is always going to put you in a good mood. We went upstairs after getting our drinks and it was all decked out like the kind of room you wished you had when you were a teenager. Sloped attic-like ceilings, tonnes of cool sofas, low lighting, vintage beermats and signs stuck up all over the show, plasma TV's and an awesome birds eye view of the band playing below. 4am came round faster than you can say "wasted" and we stumbled home (in a taxi). My girlfriend suffered from a killer hangover on Saturday that kept her in bed till 7pm...poor little poppet. I had to play nurse all day to my little bed-ridden vegetable, she was suffering alright. I treated myself to a chicken avocado and bacon burger from this place called "Burger Wisconsin" for dinner that honestly makes the best burgers I've ever tasted in my life, and damn good value for money (if you're spending the pound at least).

Sunday happened and so did a charity art auction at my girlfriends work. Kids from different schools made all these cool paintings and they were auctioned off to raise money for Cholmondeley Childrens Home (pronounced Chum-li) - my girlfriend helped organise the whole shabang, clever little sausage!

After the auction we headed to this pub called Pomeroys which I feel may become my watering hole of choice on a Sunday afternoon. My girlfriend's boss came down and we had good food and drank some good local beer and were almost the last people in there by closing. They had live music from a folk-blues group called The Eastern. I highly recommend you look into them if you like your music homecooked, warm, and deliciously soulful. I gave them 20 bucks (just under a tenner) for their CD because they put me in a good mood...but some people just bought them a couple beers in exchange for it. They had a banjo too. Gotta love that banjo. The chick playing it made me wanna take my guitar back and swap it for a banjo. I think I'm definately going to have to learn to play, along with harmonica...yeah. The One Man Blues Explosion...all I need to do is learn how to sing. Their vocalist sounded like he smoked 60-a-day, but I don't think he did. They did an amazing cover of 'Wagon Wheel' by Old Crow Medicine Show, which was one of those incredible moments of live music that you know you were lucky to see. Those little musical gems you know you'll never see again in the same place with the same people soaking up the same atmosphere are what makes live music so electric. I was lucky to be there. There were loads of old guys with beards too. There's something about old guys with beards and leathery faces that make me think they've got a story to tell. I wanted to find out all their stories, but didn't. We played pool and darts and ate nachos and had a good time. All hail the Sunday sessions.

Job prospects - looking up. Handed out more CV's and made some very useful contacts. Didn't hear back about the lifeguard job, no surprises there. Got presented with the oppurtunity to teach sex education to 13 and 14 year old kids too - I regretfully had to decline. I don't know nuffin' 'bout sex.

Been reading "Passion if a fashion" - a biography of The Clash. It's excellent, look into it. I think it may actually be one of only a handful of novel-length books I'll be able to finish before I lose interest and patience. This handful includes the autobiographies of Tony Hawk and Johnny Cash, and Bart Simpsons Guide to Life. I read alot of poetry because poets say more in alot less time and space.

"Even at your worst, you are fucking incredible" - Buddy Wakefield.

See?

Gonna go make some tea and breakfast and listen to that CD I bought yesterday. New Zealand's going well, I like this place.

I'll check in again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment