Tuesday 28 July 2009

Reception...

Today, I'm a receptionist.

..seriously.

The following took place in an office reception, somewhere in the heart of Christchurch.

I got a one-day slot manning the phones and e-mails at this place in town while all the staff attend a meeting-type thing. I basically just have to hold the fort until 5pm. I have answered the phone two times in as many hours. I have not brought any food with me. I am hungry. I am alone in the wilderness of post-it notes and fax machines, in-trays and office chairs. Well not really alone, there is a woman on the other side of the room, but she's hiding under her office divider thing. Smart move. Maybe she knows something I don't? I am scared. Even the funny forwarded e-mails that keep popping up in outlook are failing to humour me, maybe because I'm not reading them. Who knows?

There is a kettle on the other side of the room that is tempting me with it's promises of coffee and tea, I've learnt not to trust kettles in New Zealand. The dull hum of this computer is the only thing keeping me sane.

ssshhh...the phone's ringing...



It was a windscreen claim...it was terrifying, I don't want to talk about it. There is a little silver bell here that people ding when they need assistance. I need assistance. Should I ding it? Will they come? The more I look at it the more it looks like a nipple. New Zealand, I didn't know you'd treat me this way. I didn't know I'd end up in this place. I wasn't expecting this. The girl on the other side of the room just left. I think she's escaping while she can...clever...I dinged the bell while I could...it went...DING...and now it's gone back to looking like a nipple. The woman is back and talking about the weather. I think it's a trap.

Sorry...I'm just bored. I should really be on seek looking for a job, but no, I'm pretending to be mental on a blog nobody reads in the middle of the day. Hey, at least I'm getting paid for this! Back to normality now huh...

I nearly bought that amazing Clash photo book yesterday but it was a little pricey...I'm definately getting it when I get a job. It's huge and pink and got loads of photos and rare stuff in it. Awesome. New Zealand's looking beautiful today by the way, and the first signs of spring are popping up all over the place...it won't be long before the lambs take over...

Only three hours to go...I'll stop by once I'm on the other side. It's been a pleasure!

PS. Cheers Tim!

2 comments:

  1. Ollie, man you are a tough one to track down. Your profile being closed means that when you comment I can't get to your blog via your name.

    But since I work for a lame sort of Finnish CIA, also known as the polar bear squad, I managed to wash you out.

    Not really, just found you through site meter.

    Liking the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh...I didn't even know! I think I've fixed it now. No more need for underhand polar bear squad tactics...

    Cheers for the follow, maybe one day I'll have as many posts as you!

    ReplyDelete